"The Observer and the Observed" is an artwork deeply influenced by philosophy, quantum physics, and spirituality. It explores the two facets of existence: the ever-present witness and the observed reality, attempting to convey a non-dualistic perspective within what appears to be a dualistic self-portrait of the artist. The image prominently displays a face representing apparent reality, the body, the mind, and all other observable elements. In contrast, a subtly hidden face in the background symbolizes the ever-present witness to all else. The image's transcendental nature becomes apparent when we recognize that both faces are identical and are seen through the same lens, in this case, a convex one.
The piece draws inspiration from "Self-portrait in a Convex Mirror" by the Italian painter Parmigianino. Embracing a true mannerist style, the features in the painting possess elongated proportions. This influence is evident in "The Observer and the Observed", where the artist's face is exaggerated to demonstrate the lens effect, emphasizing the overwhelming presence of apparent reality.
1) The process started with a glitched 3D scan of the face of the artist which resulted in two 3D models of the face of the artist side-by-side.
2) The textures of the 3D models were extracted and styled using a Neural Styling AI model. The style used was extracted from the artist's own acrylic-on-canvas painting called "Fana"
3) Embracing the philosophy of acknowledging one's flaws, glitches and imperfections encountered during the project were viewed in a positive light and actively integrated into the artwork. For example, when reducing the poly-count of 3D models, various artifacts manifested as triangular holes on the model. These anomalies were deliberately included as elements of the artwork's aesthetic.
4) Multiple 3D renders of the model were made using 3D tools by Adobe and Blender.
5) The renders were then brought to Photoshop and using multiple tools including Generative Fill the final result was produced. The process involved distorting the image to give the convex feel, adding background, colour balancing, lighting adjustments, noise and adding the frame.